Friday, September 11, 2009

Empire State of Mind

" ... These streets will make you feel brand new, the lights will inspire you. Let's hear it for New York ..."
- Empire State of Mind (Jay-Z)

Eight years ago today, I sat in a college classroom and wondered where everyone was. The room was empty and I assumed that class was canceled because the Professor never showed. So, I left.

As I walked back to my dorm room, I bumped into a friend of mine who ran over to me and said, "Did you hear what happened to the Twin Towers?".
I looked at her shocked and wide-eyed and yelled out, "What happened?? My Mom works there!".
She then took a step back and said, "then maybe I shouldn't say anything".

After much back and forth, she finally explained the story to me, and from there, we ran back to our rooms to turn on the TV.
A group of us gathered and watched as channel after channel showed horrifying images of a plane crashing into the building that we New Yorkers know so well.

The phone lines were out, the campus was in complete chaos. It was a day, like many others, that I will NEVER forget.

Today we look back and remember. We remember a day when so many lives were changed and a city was brought down to it's knees. We remember that tomorrow isn't promised and that life should not be taken for granted. But, most important of all, we remember life lesson #15, as told by Regina Brett. "Everything can change in a blink of an eye. But, we need never to worry, because God? He never blinks".

9.11.01: Always Remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment